Once the other party answers the Complaint, the court will assign the case several dates for specific legal events:
- If children are involved, the first date will be a Parent's™ Education Program where the parties will listen to a judge speak regarding the impact of the divorce on children. Most people find this a very valuable program.
- The second date will be a Case Management Conference with the judge who will handle the case. At that meeting, a schedule is established to exchange financial information for your case.
- The third date will be an Early Settlement Panel date in court. Two experienced matrimonial attorneys meet with both parties and their attorneys and make recommendations to help resolve the case.
- Economic Mediation, If the case cannot settle at or after an Early Settlement Panel, the case will be transferred to an Economic Mediator who will assist in settling the case.
- Very few divorces end up having trials. It is extremely expensive, stressful and paralyzes families.
At Deitch and Perone, we strive to help you settle your New Jersey divorce case without going to trial. If court cannot be avoided, we will proceed to trial and defend your rights rigorously.